Hey everyone! Again, sorry for the delay, but hopefully this recipe will help you forgive me! I made it for a group of my friends the night of the American Horror Story Premiere (no – it had nothing to do with the theme, I just wanted to feed my friends). We all know I have an unhealthy obsession with Asian food, but it was fun this week to work with different flavors.
Besides the fact that I dropped my keys down the garbage shoot at my apartment while making this dish, it was incredibly easy! Very hands on and very fun. The Turkey Burger is also only 120 calories – I know right?! I found this recipe on the Biggest Loser’s website, definitely a great place to find low-calorie and delicious meals. And the corn is 98 calories per serving, so ultimately this is a really healthy (and filling) meal!!
…oh, and someone magically saved my keys before they were smashed by the automatic compressor that just happened to be broken… in case you were wondering.
Mexican Turkey Burger: Serves 6
- 1 (20-ounce) package extra-lean ground turkey breast
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup diced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning or fajita seasoning
- ¼ cup low-fat Mexican-blend cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 whole grain buns or Arnold Sandwich Thins
- 6 tablespoons salsa
- 1 ½ medium avocados, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons fat-free Greek-style yogurt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the turkey, cilantro, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, seasoning, cheese, and garlic. There will about 24 ounces (1 ½ pounds) of mixture, or 4 cups. Divide into 6 (4-ounce) patties.
- Grill the burgers for 3 minutes on each side, or until the inside is no longer pink (or for those of you without a grill, follow this tutorial for cooking burgers on a stove top like I did!)
- Serve on whole grain buns or Sandwich Thins topped with salsa, avocado (THIS IS MY FAVORITE PART), and yogurt (instead of sour cream).
Southwest Calico Corn: Serves 6 (how convenient… yes, that was on purpose)
Ingredients for Southwest Calico Corn
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 poblano pepper, diced (or for the people who can’t take the heat, like myself, a jalapeño is a good substitution!)
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce can hominy, rinsed (you can find this in the Hispanic aisle of any grocery store!)
Instructions for Southwest Calico Corn
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add poblano pepper, bell pepper and corn, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin and salt; cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add hominy and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
I cannot stress enough how delicious this was AND how healthy the meal is! This recipe will definitely stay on my list! Good lucky, and happy eating y’all!