FIRST AND FOREMOST: I am only on Season 3 of the wildly successful television show “Breaking Bad“. Therefore! If one person posts anything related to the show that has occurred after that, I will unleash a reign of terror. You’ve been warned.
So this TV show about chemistry teacher gone meth dealer has won several Emmy Awards, most recently the award for Outstanding Drama Series, however when I first started watching it I couldn’t get into it. I made it to episode 7, said “whoop de doo he makes meth, he coughs a lot, yeah okay I get it” and gave up on the show. Luckily Parker convinced me that was a poor choice so I gave the show a second chance and we started watching it together (let’s all take this moment and thank God for Netflix… amen).
OH MY GOD IT’S SO GOOD. Yes, a little slow in the beginning, but damn does that pay off later on in the series. Remarkable acting, cinematography, and some of the best writing on television right now – Breaking Bad needs to be on your list if it isn’t already.
Sadly, the series finale was a few weeks ago and fans seem lost – What do they do with their Sunday nights now? Well! You can still get your Breaking Bad fix here with this sugar cookie recipe. Now, I can’t take total creative credit for this – This ideas was inspired by a hilarious donut shop that makes “Blue Meth donuts” aka donuts with blue sugar crystals on top to mimic the blue crystal meth the main characters make on the show. Read the whole BuzzFeed article about the Breaking Bad Donuts here – these people are brilliant.
So since not all of us live in New Mexico with access to these great Breaking Bad donuts, I thought sugar cookies would be the next best thing! Now, I had some major struggles with the food-coloring… Apparently blue food dye results in pink cookies in my kitchen? I never claimed to be a genius chef, but that one confused me a bit! But hey – cooking is about having fun and being creative… right? After all, one of the main characters is Jesse PINKman and there’s a PINK teddy bear floating around in several episodes, so I went with it.
Breaking Bad Sugar Cookies full recipe here!
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 5 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Blue sugar sprinkles
- 4-6 drops of blue food-coloring
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Feel free to mix in as many sprinkles as you like at this point! Can’t hurt, right?
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll cookie dough into small balls and pace cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven.
- Again, add more sprinkles.
- Cool completely.
OR for the lazy person inside us all, use this box mix by Betty Crocker and follow their instructions. It’s amazing. And crazy simple!
Now that you’ve got a kitchen killed with warm, melt-in-your-mouth sugar cookies, I’ll let you go set up that DVR to record Breaking Bad. Or you can go sign up for a Netflix account. Your choice! Happy cooking, y’all!
- The Best TV Shows Ever: Breaking Bad (brandsandfilms.com)
- How to Make Breaking Bad Cupcakes (ireport.cnn.com)
- World’s Best Sugar Cookies? (amberjack09.wordpress.com)
- Creating Fall: Pumkin Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting (creatingcharacterinla.wordpress.com)
- Softest Sugar Cookie Recipe (kissmyingredients.com)