Hey everyone! I hope y’all had an absolutely wonderful holiday celebration with your families! I’m sure many of you are still with your families, which is why I wanted to suggest this great recipe: BBQ Chicken Pizza! It’s fun to make at home, and it feeds plenty!
I also wanted to try out the new pizza stone my aunt and uncle got me for my birthday back in November. I’ve been very fortunate in that a lot of my family and friends and fully embraced my new cooking blog! I received several cookbooks for Christmas – so y’all will definitely benefit from these new recipes! My boyfriend’s sweet grandma also got me some new knives for my kitchen. And then my mom got me a grill pan! Like I said, I’m one lucky wanna-be-chef!! 🙂
Now, back to the pizza. Parker and I made this the night before we left to celebrate Christmas with his Dad’s side of the family in Gulfport, Mississippi. I wanted to make something that would use up some of the fresh ingredients in my fridge since I’d be gone for awhile and I didn’t want them to go to waste! Pizza is a great outlet for that, don’t you think? Just pile up some meat and veggies on a pizza crust and you’re pretty much good to go! I had chicken and cilantro in my fridge… which to me screamed BBQ Chicken Pizza!
Homemade Pizza: Makes 2 Pizza Crusts
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups bread flour, plus more for rolling (Using bread flour will give you a much crisper crust. If you can’t find bread flour, you can substitute it with all-purpose flour which will give you a chewier crust.)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 envelope instant dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups water, 110 degrees F
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
Instructions for Homemade Pizza Dough:
- Combine the bread flour, sugar, yeast and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and combine.
- While the mixer is running, add the water and 2 tablespoons of the oil and beat until the dough forms into a ball. If the dough is sticky, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a solid ball. If the dough is too dry, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a smooth, firm ball.
- Grease a large bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, add the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in a warm area to let it double in size, about 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 equal pieces.
- Cover each with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let them rest for 10 minutes.
Now that you’ve got your dough, you’re ready to start cooking the pizza! There’s minimal prep work for this pizza which makes it nice and easy. If you want to try using a pizza stone, I suggest following this tutorial! Apparently you don’t just put the pizza on the pizza stone and let the magic happen… Read here to find out more about pizza stones.
BBQ Chicken Pizza: Makes one 12-inch pizza
- 1 (12 inch) pizza dough crust
- 1 cup barbecue sauce – I recommend Sweet Baby Ray’s!! Seriously though, my absolute favorite.
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped red onion (optional: Parker and I decided against it because otherwise we would have had to go to the grocery store)
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) (unless you’re following pizza stone instructions above!)
- Place pizza crust on a medium baking sheet. Spread the crust with barbeque sauce. Top with chicken, cilantro, onion, and cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Enjoy!! I know I’m going to try some more pizza recipes in the future! The pizza stone made the crust nice and crispy – absolutely delicious! …I also got a cookbook for pizzas SO I have lots of new options to try! Again, hope y’all had a wonderful holiday celebration! I’ll be out of town for New Year’s so I’ll share some new recipes with you guys in 2014!!
- Pizza Dough Recipe, Pizza Dough & Homemade Pizza Dough | Pottery Barn (potterybarn.com)
- One of America’s Favorites – Focaccia (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)
- Pleasant Pizza Crust (tuesdaywithtara.wordpress.com)
- Pizza Night – Garlic Artichoke Mushroom & Pepperoni (bobbyandlily.com)
- Deep Pan Hawaiian + BBQ Chicken & Mushroom Pizza (tetby.wordpress.com)
- Deep Dish Cast Iron Pizza (abeautifulmess.com)
- Homemade Veggie Chicken Pizza (thesweatangel.wordpress.com)