…or as I’ve started calling it, the Boyfriend Salad. I’m no master, but I think it’s safe to assume that guys across the globe would happily choose a cheeseburger over a salad (andddd maybe most of the girls out there too, myself included). However! I seem to have found a loophole…and it’s basically salad dressing made out of peanut butter. Now… I recognize that defeats some of the healthier benefits of salad BUT I swear, it’s absolutely delicious. And my boyfriend kept coming back for more of it! The guy who really doesn’t like to eat anything green thought this was one for the record books.
Also! You can make the dressing spicy by adding 1/2 teaspoon of sriracha. I’m not a big fan of spicy, which is why I left it out, but if you want some heat – go for it!
Crunch Cabbage Salad with Peanut Dressing: Makes 4 Small Salads or 2 Large Salads
Ingredients for the Salad:
- 1 head napa cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 cup snow peas, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted cashews
Ingredients for the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine the cabbages, carrots, snow peas, avocado and half the herbs in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing in a separate bowl, adding more water to thin if necessary.
- Toss the cabbage mixture with the peanut sauce and top with the reserved herbs, and cashews.
Super easy to make – maybe ten minutes max! It keeps for about a day or two if you don’t mix in the dressing right away, in case you want to plan your meals ahead of time. Stay tuned for more recipes, and happy eating everybody!