I have such a sweet tooth, so Valentine’s Day is a particularly dangerous time of year for me! So even though I already posted my go-to Valentine’s day recipe, naturally when I came across this recipe I couldn’t resist giving it a try.
WARNING: I botched the filling something fierce. It tasted delicious, but for the life of me I couldn’t thicken up the filling from the gooey mess I created. No amount of powdered sugar could save it… sigh. That being said, if y’all give this a try and it works – please let me know! I’m quite pleased with these tasty treats, but I’m pretty sure I missed a step along the way… Cooking is about trying new things, right?
Anyways! Blah blah blah boyfriend currently studying abroad in Europe blah blah blah eating my feelings like a champ tomorrow etc etc. You guys get the idea. With an apartment smelling deliciously of chocolate, and filled with fluffy cookies… I think I’ll survive just fine!
Chocolate Fudge Cookie Sandwiches with Strawberry Filling: Makes 18 Sandwiches
Ingredients for Cookies:
- 1 pkg. chocolate fudge cake mix (or any chocolate cake mix)
- 3/4 c. shortening
- 2 eggs
Ingredients for Strawberry Frosting
- 1 stick (8 Tbl.) unsalted butter, room temp.
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. frozen strawberries thawed and pureed
- 1 tsp. strawberry extract (if you can’t find this — don’t worry! I couldn’t either so I just added a few more strawberries)
- Preheat oven to 350
- For the Cookies: Combine cake mix, shortening and eggs and mix until combined. Dough will be stiff. Roll into 1” – 1 1/2” balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Cool completely. Spread filling over half of the cookies and top each with another cookie to make sandwiches. Makes about 36 cookies (18 sandwiches).
- For the Strawberry Filling: Cream together butter, cream cheese and salt. Add one cup of powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add the pureed strawberries and strawberry extract. Gradually mix in the remaining powdered sugar. If frosting is too thick, add a little more strawberry puree.
I brought the leftover, unstuffed chocolate fudge cookies to class the next day and they were immediately devoured! So even if the frosting doesn’t turn out for you too, fear not! The cookies are to die for, I promise. I hope everyone has a happy Valentine’s day filled with love! …and of course, really good food. Happy eating!