Y’all know I’m the first person to sign up for a huge plate of steak and mashed potatoes, so the fact that I stumbled upon a vegan dish this good is a surprise to me too! I didn’t even realize it was a vegan recipe until I looked back at the website. I made this dish for some of my friends and it was a huge success (read: Rachel my fitness guru friend and I went back for seconds, and I brought the leftovers to work for a few days). I sent my mom the recipe also, and she loved it! Looks like we’ve found another healthy keeper, guys.
Vegan Quinoa and Sweet Potato Chili: Serves 6 (and at 324 calories a serving – #winning)
- One 29 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 6 oz can tomato paste
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Avocado for garnish (technically optional, but I never pass up an avocado!)
- Heat the oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium low heat.
- Add onions, and cook until soft and they start to turn brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the beans, stock, and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper .
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the quinoa.
- Continue cooking for about 15-30 minutes, stirring frequently, until quinoa and potatoes are cooked and the chili has thickened. **Note: I definitely cooked mine for at least 30… I don’t know what super stove top this cook used, but my quinoa was crunch still at 15 minutes, so just keep an eye on it!
- Add a bit of water if the chili becomes too thick for your liking.
- Top with avocado.
As I mentioned, this recipe was perfect for the work week!! I made it on Sunday night and it lasted through about Wednesday. Easy to throw into a tupperware container and head out the door! I’ve been on the lookout for easy, healthy, make-ahead meals for work since my schedule has been so insane lately, and this one definitely does the trick! If you know of any good ones – please send them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’ll love you forever… even though we all know I already do. Happy eating everyone!