Thisssss dishhhhh isssss sooooo good. I made it for my friend Natalie a few weeks ago for our dinner and a movie date: We watched Disney’s new film Frozen, which I’m pretty sure I’ve seen 4 times now since it was released and I’m not the least bit sorry about it. I chose this chicken recipe because I’ve seen it pop up on Pinterest a lot lately and figured these people must be onto something! And they 100% were. Good to know that when all else fails, Pinterest has got your back.
Side Note: For the times when they’re not, check out these hilarious “Pinterest Fails“. It’s genius. You’re welcome.
End tangent. Commence recipe!
Greek Marinated Chicken: Serves 6
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 medium lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- ¼ bunch fresh parsley
- 3½ to 4 lbs chicken pieces
- To make the marinade, combine the yogurt, olive oil, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper in a bowl. Use a fine holed cheese grater or a zester to scrape the thin layer of yellow zest from the lemon skin into the bowl. Also add the juice from half of the lemon (about 1-2 Tbsp). Stir until the ingredients are well combined. Roughly chop a big handful, or about ¼ bunch, of parsley and stir it into the marinade.
- Add the chicken pieces and marinade to a gallon sized zip top bag. Remove as much air as possible, close the bag tightly, and massage the bag to mix the contents and make sure the chicken is well coated. Refrigerate the bag for 30 minutes.
- After marinating for 30 minutes, either cook the chicken on a grill OR preheat the oven to 375 degrees in preparation to bake the chicken.
- To bake the chicken, place the chicken pieces in a large casserole dish (9×13). Bake the chicken in the preheated 375 degree oven for 45-60 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Such an easy dish to make! While it takes awhile to cook, it’s definitely worth the wait. I recommend making the full recipe size because the leftovers were just as good the next day!
Roasted Asparagus with Feta: Serves 6
- 3 1/2-4 lbs fresh crisp asparagus
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 to taste kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 to taste fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 -4 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 6 -8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 lemon (juice of, no seeds)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat olive oil, minced garlic, lemon zest, oregano, and red pepper flakes in a small pan over low heat until garlic becomes golden and oil becomes fragrant; remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Bend asparagus gently until it breaks at a natural point and discard ends.
- Toss asparagus pieces with infused olive oil and place in a single layer on a baking sheet (one with a side edge).
- Season asparagus with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle asparagus with crumbled feta cheese.
- Roast at 400F for 12 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and squeeze the lemons over the asparagus, being careful to catch the seeds.
- Serve hot.
These two dishes complement each other nicely and are easy to make back-to-back. It’s easy to keep the chicken warm while the asparagus cooks, assuming you’ve prepped the asparagus while the chicken is cooking which I highly recommend. Good luck! And whatever your plans are for this weekend, happy eating!