In need of some fall flavors that have fewer calories than the infamous pumpkin spice latte? Look no further! I decided to give this paleo thing a try, and in the process came across this deliciously filling chili recipe. I made the full batch — which is huge by the way, so I would recommend freezing the leftovers — and I can say I made everyone in my office jealous when I heated it up for lunch. It. Smells. SO. Good!
Paleo Pumpkin Chicken Chili: Serves 8-10
- 3lbs chicken cubed
- 2 cups diced red onions
- 2 cups diced bell peppers (any color)
- 3 jalapenos (diced and seeds removed)
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 28 oz of diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 3 cups organic pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp diced fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Heat coconut oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Sauté onions until lightly browned, then add bell peppers, jalapeños, and garlic and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add in chicken, chicken stock, white wine, organic tomatoes, organic tomato paste, chili powder, pumpkin pie spice, coriander, salt, and cinnamon stick and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin, cilantro, and cocoa powder and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and let sit until ready to serve, or serve immediately. If there is too much, you can freeze it to eat later in the week.
Be on the look out for more paleo recipes! I’m finding that I feel so much more energized after following the paleo guidelines — granted, it’s only been a week, and I definitely cheated and scarfed down two tacos after the football tailgate, but I’m noticing a difference already! Food shouldn’t have to weigh you down!
Enjoy y’all, and happy eating!