I know the beginning of a new year is filled with people pledging to eat better, stay fit, and stay away from tasty treats. Well… sorry, y’all. This recipe isn’t going to make that “lose 10 lbs” New Years’ resolution any easier.
A wonderful tradition in my house is on Christmas morning when my mom makes breakfast for all of us — and while that may sound like any other day, this breakfast is different. This is when she busts out the big guns and treats us all to something typically flooded by maple syrup, bacon, or both. And this year was no exception! Ladies and gentlemen, you’re welcome.
This recipe is a lazy person’s dream. Why? You assemble it the night before, and then bake it in the morning. As it sits in the fridge over night, the bread continues to soak up all the butter and sugar and ahhhhhhh it’s amazing.
French Toast Bake: Serves 4-5
- 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 loaf of thickly sliced bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Cinnamon for sprinkling
- Melt butter in microwave & add brown sugar….stir till mixed.
- Pour butter/sugar mix into bottom of 9 x 13 pan….spread around.
- Beat eggs, milk, & vanilla
- Lay single slices of bread in pan
- Spoon 1/2 of egg mixture on bread layer
- Sprinkle some cinnamon over bread/eggs
- Add 2nd layer of sliced bread
- Spoon on remaining egg mixture
- Cover & chill in fridge overnight
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (covered for the first 30 minutes)
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar & cinnamon
- Serve with warm maple syrup
Hey, maybe going on a run will balance out this delicious breakfast treat, and your New Years resolutions will be safe! I pinky promise that it’s worth it. Happy eating!